The Peitz carp is its own breed and is appreciated because of its outstanding quality throughout Germany. It is the result of centuries long tradition of lake cultivation in the area called “Niederlausitz”.
The establishment of a fishing museum was finished at a historic place. It forms a unity with the Peitz iron works museum, which is supposed to be a Technical Memorial as it is the oldest working iron works. Since 2001 in the right part of the building has been housed a permanent exhibition showing the history of the industrial area around the town of Peitz.
The further extension of the area of the iron works is planned for the coming years.
Today a wide variety of options for groups of different ages and interests is already offered.
You may choose:
- guided tours through the fishing museum and the iron works (length 60 minutes)
- guided tours through the lake area of Peitz (length 60-90 minutes)
- organisation of projects for schoolchildren
- “Prof. Schäperclaus – lake walking path of Peitz” (distance: 2.3 km)
- cabaret and jazz events in the historic furnace hall (June-September)
- “Peitz carp harvest” (fishing in the lake “Hälterteich”), every year in October
- presentation of the foundry with a historic cupola furnace (please, ask for dates in advance)
- fishing at the lake of the iron works (May-September, no fishing licence necessary)
- boat rides on the lake “Hälterteich” (May-October)
We are looking forward to your visit in Peitz.